Self-Care Work Sheet #5: Help Yourself Relax
Most people who suffer from depression also feel anxious. For many people, this downward spiral not doing things you used to enjoy, not doing things you should, feeling sad and hopeless leads to feeling anxious. Since a relaxed body can lead to a relaxed mind, another way to help yourself is to physically relax.
Try this relaxation technique:
- Find a quiet, comfortable space.
- Take a deep breath and say something that helps you feel better. (For example, "It's OK.")
- Watch your breathing. Let it get slower and deeper.
- While breathing deeply, think about a peaceful image from your past or a calm situation.
- Using different small groups of muscles, tense them (your hand into a fist; clench your jaw) one at a time for 5 seconds and relax for 15 seconds.
|When can I find time to relax? (A specific time.)
Every day during the next week, I will practice physical relaxation at least _____ times, each session at least _____ minutes (make it easy and reasonable!).