As children grow and develop, the safety of the home needs to be
continually checked. Accidental injuries are one of the leading causes of death
in children younger than age 5. The following questions can help you determine
how your child's skills can affect his or her safety in the home:1
- How quickly and how far can the child
- How far and how high can the child reach?
household objects attract the child's attention?
- What is the child
learning to do today that he or she could not do before?
- What can I
expect the child to do tomorrow that he or she does not do yet?
- Health and Safety, Ages 2 to 5 Years
- Health and Safety, Birth to 2 Years
- Preschoolers: Helping Your Child Explore
American Academy of Pediatrics (2009). Keeping your child safe. In SP Shevlov et al., eds., Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5, 5th ed., pp. 457–506. New York: Bantam.