Carbohydrate FoodsSkip to the navigation
Foods containing carbohydrate are grouped into the following categories. The carbohydrate content is listed in grams (g). If you eat a larger portion, count it as more than one serving.
One serving of carbohydrate has 15 grams of carbohydrate. Of course, not all foods contain exactly 15 grams of carbohydrate. Typically if a food has 8 to 22 grams of carbohydrate, that is equal to 1 carbohydrate serving.
Bread, cereal, rice, pasta, beans, and starchy vegetables: 15 g of carbohydrate per serving (1 carbohydrate serving)
- 1 slice bread (1 oz)
- 1/4 bagel
- 3/4 cup dry cereal
- 1/2 cup cooked cereal
- 1/3 cup cooked rice or pasta
- 1/2 cup cooked beans, lentils, or peas
- 1/2 cup cooked corn
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
Vegetables: 5 g of carbohydrate per serving
- 1 cup raw leafy vegetables
- 1/2 cup other vegetables, cooked or chopped raw
- 1/2 cup vegetable juice
Fruits: 15 g of carbohydrate per serving
- 1 small apple or orange
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked, or canned fruit
- 1/2 cup fruit juice
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
Milk and yogurt: 15 g of carbohydrate per serving
These are also good sources of calcium.
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt. (Food with added sugar will contain more carbohydrate, so check the label.)
The carbohydrate content of sweets varies according to the ingredients. Talk with a registered dietitian about how to work these foods into your meal plan.
For a complete listing of foods containing carbohydrate, contact the American Diabetes Association.
Health Tools help you make wise health decisions or take action to improve your health.
Other Places To Get Help
Other Works Consulted
- Warshaw H, Kulkarni K (2011). The Complete Guide to Carb Counting, 3rd ed. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association.
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator
Current as ofNovember 14, 2014
Current as of: November 14, 2014