You can use home treatment to relieve symptoms of:
- Itching or hives.
Avoid more contact with whatever you think is causing the
- A sore throat caused by postnasal drip. Gargle with
warm salt water to help ease throat soreness.
- Hay fever symptoms.
antihistamine to reduce symptoms of itchy, watery
eyes; sneezing; or a runny, itchy nose. Be sure to read and follow any warnings
on the label. Don't give antihistamines to your child unless you've checked
with the doctor first.
- Allergies that are worse in damp weather. Mold may be the cause of allergies that get worse in damp
weather. Mold produces spores that move, like pollen, in outdoor air during
warmer months. During winter months, indoor molds can also be a
- Indoor allergies. Newer, energy-saving homes that are
built with double- or triple-paned windows and more insulation keep heat as
well as allergens indoors.
- Allergies to a pet or other animal. When allergies are worse around pets, symptoms may be caused by
your pet's dead skin (dander), urine, dried saliva, or hair.
- Seasonal allergies. These are often caused by exposure to pollen.
For tips on how to treat dry and irritated skin, see the topic
Dry Skin and Itching.
For information on
how to treat an insect bite or sting, see the topic
Insect Bites and Stings and Spider Bites.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home treatment:
- Trouble breathing, wheezing, or tightness in
the chest develops.
- Swelling of the throat, tongue, lips, or face
- Hives develop or get
- Swelling gets worse.
skin infection develops.
- Symptoms have not
improved after 2 weeks of home treatment.
- Symptoms become more
severe or more frequent.
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
November 12, 2012
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.