Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
Questions to prepare for your appointment
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
following questions. When you go to your appointment, be sure to bring your
headache diary (What is a PDF document?).
- What medicines do you take, either weekly or
monthly, depending on the severity of your headaches? What is your response to
the medicine? Make a list to help you remember your medicines and your
- For a headache that started suddenly (acute):
- When did the headache start?
were you doing when the headache started?
- For ongoing headaches (chronic):
- When did your headache problems
- How often do you have headaches?
- How long do
your headaches usually last?
- Where is your headache pain
- Describe your headache pain (stabbing, throbbing, dull,
sharp), and how you would
rate the pain?
- How do your headaches
usually begin or evolve?
- Do you have other symptoms with your
- Are your headaches related to your menstrual
- What do you think causes your headaches?
home treatments have you tried, and how well did they work?
prescription medicines have you been given? Did they work?
prescription or nonprescription medicines do you take?
- Are you
using an alternative or complementary medicine or treatment (including herbal
- Have you recently had a dental procedure, such as a
filling or a root canal?
- When was your last eye examination? Do you
wear corrective lenses?
- Do you have any
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
April 17, 2012
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.