1. Craik FIM, Salthouse TA. Handbook of Aging and Cognition. Hillsdale, NJ:
2. Smith GE, Petersen RC, Parisi JE, et al. Definition, course, and outcome of mild
cognitive impairment. Aging Neuropsychol Cogn 1996;3:141–7.
C, Gill C, Paykel ES, et al. Cognitive decline in an elderly population—a two wave study of change.
Psychological Study of Medicine 1995;25:673–83.
4. Youngjohn JR, Larrabee GJ, Crook TH. Discriminating age-associated memory impairment and
Alzheimer’s disease. Psychol Assess 1992;4:54–9.
5. Hänninen T. Age-associated
memory impairment: A neuropsychological and epidemiological study. Neurologian klinikan julkaisusarja 1996;39 [abstract].
6. American Psychiatric
Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed. Washington, DC: American
Psychiatric Association, 1994, 684.
7. Levy R. Aging-associated cognitive decline. Int Psychogeriatr 1994;6:63–8 [review].
8. Rubin EH, Storandt M, Miller JP, et al. A prospective study of
cognitive function and onset of dementia in cognitively healthy elders. Arch Neurol
9. Bolla KI, Lindgren KN, Bonaccorsy C, Bleecker ML. Memory complaints in older adults: Fact
or fiction? Arch Neurol 1991;48:61–4.
10. Lezak M. Neuropsychological Assessment, 3rd ed. New York: Oxford, 1995.
11. Spreen O, Strauss E. A Compendium of Neuropsychological Tests: Administration, Norms, and Commentary. New York: Oxford, 1991.
12. La Rue A. Aging and Neuropsychological Assessment. New York: Plenum, 1992.
PD, ed. Handbook of Neuropsychology and Aging. New York: Plenum, 1997.
14. Ferris SH, Kluger A. Commentary on age-associated memory impairment, age-related
cognitive decline and mild cognitive impairment. Aging Neuropsychol Cogn 1996;3:148–53.
15. Rediess S, Caine ED. Aging, cognition, and DSM-IV. Aging Neuropsychol Cogn 1996;3:105–17.
16. Di Carlo A, Baldereschi M, Maggi S, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of age-related cognitive decline: The Italian longitudinal study on aging (ILSA). American Academy of Neurology, 50th Annual Meeting [abstract] P04.103.
17. Kilander L, Nyman H, Boberg M, et al. Hypertension is related to cognitive impairment: a 20-year follow-up of 999 men. Hypertension 1998;31(3):780–6.
18. Williams P, Lord SR. Effects of group exercise on cognitive functioning and mood in older women. Aust N Z J Public Health 1997;21(1):45–52.
19. Emery CF, Huppert FA, Schein RL. Relationships among age, exercise, health, and cognitive function in a British sample. Gerontologist 1995;35(3):378–85.
20. West RL, Crook TH. Video training of imagery for mature adults. Appl Cogn Psychol 1991;6: 307–20.
21. Caprio-Prevette MD, Fry PS. Memory enhancement program for community-based older adults: development and evaluation. Exp Aging Res 1996;22(3):281–303 [review].
22. Abraham IL, Neundorfer MM, Currie LJ. Effects of group interventions on cognition and depression in nursing home residents. Nurs Res 1992;41(4):196–202.
23. Jarvis MJ. Does caffeine enhance absolute levels of cognitive performance? Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1993;110(1–2):45–52.
24. Joseph JA, Shukitt-Hale B, Denisova NA, et al. Long-term dietary strawberry, spinach, or vitamin E supplementation retards the onset of age-related neuronal signal-transduction and cognitive behavioral deficits. J Neurosci 1998;18(19):8047–55.
25. Perrig WJ, Perrig P, Stahelin HB. The relation between antioxidants and memory performance in the old and very old. J Am Geriatr Soc 1997;45(6):718–24.
26. Solfrizzi V, Panza F, Torres F, et al. High monounsaturated fatty acids intake protects against age-related cognitive decline. Neurology 1999;52(8):1563–9.
27. Cipolli C, Chiari G. [Effects of L-acetylcarnitine on mental deterioration in the aged: initial results.] Clin Ter 1990;132(6 Suppl):479–510 [in Italian].
28. Salvioli G, Neri M. L-acetylcarnitine treatment of mental decline in the elderly. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1994;20(4):169–76.
29. Genazzani E. [A controlled clinical study on the efficacy of L-acetylcarnitine in the treatment of mild to moderate mental deterioration in the aged. Conclusions.] Clin Ter 1990;132(6 Suppl):511–2.
30. Garzya G, Corallo D, Fiore A, et al. Evaluation of the effects of L-acetylcarnitine on senile patients suffering from depression. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1990;16(2):101–6.
31. Bonavita E. Study of the efficacy and tolerability of L-acetylcarnitine therapy in the senile brain. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 1986;24(9):511–6.
32. Passeri M, Iannuccelli M, Ciotti G, et al. Mental impairment in aging: selection of patients, methods of evaluation and therapeutic possibilities of acetyl-L-carnitine. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res 1988;8(5):367–76.
33. Allain H, Raoul P, Lieury A, et al. Effects of two doses of ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) on the dual-coding test in elderly subjects. Clin Ther 1993;15(3):549–58.
34. Rai GS, Shovlin C, Wesnes KA. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of Ginkgo biloba extract (‘tanakan’) in elderly patients with mild to moderate memory impairment. Curr Med Res Opin 1991;12(6):350–5.
35. Brautigam MRH, Blommaert FA, Verleye G, et al. Treatment of age-related memory complaints with Ginkgo biloba extract: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. Phytomedicine 1998;5:425–34.
36. Wesnes K, Simmons D, Rook M. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of Tanakan in the treatment of idiopathic impairment in the elderly. Human Psychopharmacol 1987;2:159–69.
37. Israel L, Dell’Accio E, Martin G, Hugonot R. Ginkgo biloba extract and memory training programs—comparative assessment on elderly outpatients. Psychologie Médicale 1987;19:1431–9.
38. Gräbel E. The influence of Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) on mental performance: A double-blind study under computerized measurement conditions in patients with cerebral insufficiency. Fortschr Med 1992;110:73–6.
39. Winther K, Randlov C, Rein E, Mehlsen J. Effects of Ginkgo biloba extract on cognitive function and blood pressure in elderly subjects. Curr Ther Res 1998;59:881–8.
40. Van Dongen M, van Rossum E, Kessels AGH, et al. The efficacy of ginkgo for elderly people with dementia and age-associated memory impairment: New results of a randomized clinical trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2000;48:1183–94.
41. Maggioni M, Picotti GB, Bondiolotti GP, et al. Effects of phosphatidylserine therapy in geriatric patients with depressive disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1990;81(3):265–70.
42. Cenacchi T, Bertoldin T, Farina C, et al. Cognitive decline in the elderly: a double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter study on efficacy of phosphatidylserine administration. Aging (Milano) 1993;5(2):123–33.
43. Sakai M, Yamatoya H, Kudo S. Pharmacological effects of phosphatidylserine enzymatically synthesized from soybean lecithin on brain functions in rodents. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo)
44. Kidd PM. Don’t believe everything
you read. . .a sequel. Point. Townsend Letter for Doctors Patients
45. Gaby AR. Don’t believe everything
you read. CounterPoint. Townsend Letter for Doctors Patients 1997;July:125–6
46. Furushiro M, Suzuki S, Shishido Y, et
al. Effects of oral administration of soybean lecithin transphosphatidylated
phosphatidylserine on impaired learning of passive avoidance in mice. Jpn J Pharmacol
47. Sakai M, Yamatoya H, Kudo S. Pharmacological effects of
phosphatidylserine enzymatically synthesized from soybean lecithin on brain functions in
rodents. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 1996;42:47–54.
48. Blokland A,
Honig W, Brouns F, et al. Cognition-enhancing properties of subchronic phosphatidylserine (PS)
treatment in middle-aged rats: comparison of bovine cortex PS with egg PS and soybean PS. Nutrition 1999;15:778–83.
49. Gindin J, Novikov M, Kedar D, et al. The effect of plant phosphatidylserine on age-associated memory impairment and mood in the functioning elderly. Rehovot, Israel: Geriatric Institute for Education and Research, and Department of Geriatrics, Kaplan Hospital, 1995.
50. Jorissen BL, Brouns F, Van Boxtel MPJ, et al. The
influence of soy-derived phosphatidylserine on cognition in age-associated
memory impairment. Nutr Neurosci 2001;4:121–34.
51. Singh HK, Dhawan BN. Neuropsychopharmacological effects of the Ayurvedic nootropic Bacopa monniera Linn. (Brahmi). Indian J Pharmacol 1997;29:S359–S365.
52. Singh HK, Rastogi RP, Srimal RC, Dhawan BN. Effect of bacosides A and B on avoidance responses in rats. Phytother Res 1988;2:70–5.
53. Singh HK, Dhawan BN. Effect of Bacopa monniera Linn. (brahmi) extract on avoidance responses in rat. J Ethnopharmacol 1982;5:205–14.
54. Sharma R, Chaturvedi C, Tewari PV. Efficacy of Bacopa monniera in revitalizing intellectual functions in children. J Res Edu Ind Med 1987:1:12.
55. Roodenrys S, Booth D, Bulzomi S, et al. Chronic effects of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) on human memory. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002;27:279–81.
56. Stough C, Lloyd J, Clarke J, et al. The chronic effects of an extract of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Psychopharmacology 2001;156:481–4.
57. Morgan A, Stevens J. Does Bacopa monnieri improve memory performance in older persons? Results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. J Altern Complement Med 2010;16:735–9
58. Calabrese C, Gregory WL, Leo M, et al. Effects of a standardized Bacopa monnieri extract on cognitive performance, anxiety, and depression in the elderly: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Altern Complement Med 2008;14:707–13.
59. Nathan PJ, Clarke J, Lloyd J, et al. The acute effects of an extract of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy normal subjects. Hum Psychopharmacol 2001;16:345–51.
60. Durga J, van Boxtel MPJ, Schouten EG, et al. Effect of 3-year folic acid supplementation on cognitive function in older adults in the FACIT trial: a randomised, double blind, controlled trial. Lancet 2007;369:208–16.
61. Smith AD, Smith SM, de Jager CA, et al. Homocysteine-lowering by B vitamins slows the rate of accelerated brain atrophy in mild cognitive impairment: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS One 2010;5(9):e12244.
62. Wang Z, Ren G, Zhao Y, et al. A double-blind study of huperzine A and piracetam in patients with age-associated memory impairment and dementia. In: Kanba S, Richelson E, eds. Herbal Medicines for Nonpsychiatric Diseases. Tokyo: Seiwa Shoten Publishers, 1999, 39–50.
63. Ryan J, Croft K, Mori T, et al. An examination of the effects of the antioxidant Pycnogenol on cognitive performance, serum lipid profile, endocrinological and oxidative stress biomarkers in an elderly population. J Psychopharmacol 2008;22:553-62.
64. Hindmarch I, Fuchs HH, Erzigkeit H. Efficacy and tolerance of vinpocetine in ambulant patients suffering from mild to moderate organic psychosyndromes. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1991;6:31–43.
65. Balestreri R, Fontana L, Astengo F. A double-blind placebo controlled evaluation of the safety and efficacy of vinpocetine in the treatment of patients with chronic vascular senile cerebral dysfunction. J Am Geriatr Soc 1987;35:425–30.
66. Peruzza M, DeJacobis M. A double-blind placebo controlled evaluation of the efficacy and safety of vinpocetine in the treatment of patients with chronic vascular or degenerative senile cerebral dysfunction. Adv Ther 1986;3:201–9.
67. Manconi E, Binaghi F, Pitzus F. A double-blind clinical trial of vinpocetine in the treatment of cerebral insufficiency of vascular and degenerative origin. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp1986;30:702–709.
68. Thal LJ, Salmon DP, Lasker B, et al. The safety and lack of efficacy of vinpocetine in Alzheimer's disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 1989;37:515–20.
69. Martin DC, Francis J, Protetch J, Huff FJ. Time dependency of cognitive recovery with cobalamin replacement: report of a pilot study. J Am Geriatr Soc 1992;40(2):168–72.
70. Lindenbaum J, Healton EB, Savage DG, et al. Neuropsychiatric disorders caused by cobalamin deficiency in the absence of anemia or macrocytosis. N Engl J Med 1988;318:1720–8.
71. Madigan SM, Tracey F, McNulty H, et al. Riboflavin and vitamin B-6 intakes and status and biochemical response to riboflavin supplementation in free-living elderly people. Am J Clin Nutr 1998;68(2):389–95.
72. Tolonen M, Schrijver J, Westermarck T, et al. Vitamin B6 status of Finnish elderly. Comparison with Dutch younger adults and elderly. The effect of supplementation. Int J Vitam Res 1988;58(1):73–7.
73. Deijen JB, van der Beek EJ, Orlebeke JF, et al. Vitamin B-6 supplementation in elderly men: effects on mood, memory, performance and mental effort. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1992;109(4):489–96.
74. Kang JH, Cook N, Manson J, Buring JE, Albert CM, Grodstein F. A trial of B vitamins and cognitive function among women at high risk of cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;88:1602-10.)
75. Grodstein F, Kang JH, Glynn RJ, et al. A randomized trial of beta carotene supplementation and cognitive function in men: the Physicians' Health Study II. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:2184–90.
76. Myers BL, Badia P. Changes in circadian rhythms and sleep quality with aging: mechanisms and interventions. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 1995;19(4):553–71. Published erratum appears in Neurosci Biobehav Rev 1996;20(2):I–IV.
77. Dollins AB, Zhdanova IV, Wurtman RJ, et al. Effect of inducing nocturnal serum melatonin concentrations in daytime on sleep, mood, body temperature, and performance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1994;91(5):1824–8.
78. Dori D, Casale G, Solerte SB, et al. Chrono-neuroendocrinological aspects of physiological aging and senile dementia. Chronobiologia 1994;21(1–2):121–6.
79. Comperatore CA, Lieberman HR, Kirby AW, et al. Melatonin efficacy in aviation missions requiring rapid deployment and night operations. Aviat Space Environ Med 1996;67(6):520–4.
80. Jean-Louis G, von Gizycki H, Zizi F. Melatonin effects on sleep, mood, and cognition in elderly with mild cognitive impairment. J Pineal Res 1998;25(3):177–83.
81. Slotten HA, Krekling S. Does melatonin have an effect on cognitive performance? Psychoneuro-endocrinology 1996;21(8):673–80.
82. Masaki KH, Losonczy KG, Izmirlian G, et al. Association of vitamin E and C supplement use with cognitive function and dementia in elderly men. Neurology 2000;54:1265–72.
83. Masaki KH, Losonczy KG, Izmirlian G, et al. Association of vitamin E and C supplement use with cognitive function and dementia in elderly men. Neurology 2000;54:1265–72.