When to Call a Doctor
Call 911 or other emergency services right away if:
- You had passed out (lost consciousness), or if you suddenly become very sleepy or confused. (You may have very low blood sugar, called hypoglycemia.)
- Low Blood Sugar: Emergency Care
Call a doctor if:
- You are sick and cannot control your blood sugar.
- You have been vomiting or have had diarrhea for more than 6 hours.
- Sick-Day Guidelines for People With Diabetes
- You have a blood sugar level that stays higher than the level the doctor has set for you, for example, 300 mg/dL for two or more readings.
- You have blood sugar that stays lower than the level the doctor has set for you, for example, 70 mg/dL for two or more readings.
- You have symptoms of low blood sugar, such as:
- Feeling nervous, shaky, and weak.
- Extreme hunger and slight nausea.
- Dizziness and headache.
- Blurred vision.
Check with your doctor if:
- You often have problems with high or low blood sugar levels.
- You have trouble knowing when your blood sugar is low (hypoglycemia unawareness).
- You have questions or want to know more about gestational diabetes.
Who to see
Health professionals who can diagnose
and treat gestational diabetes include:
are diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you may be referred to other health
professionals who can help you understand what gestational diabetes means.
These may include:
certified diabetes educator (CDE). A CDE is a
registered nurse, registered dietitian, doctor, pharmacist, or other health professional
who has training and experience in caring for people who have diabetes. A CDE can
help you understand how to take care of yourself and help you adjust to living
with gestational diabetes.
registered dietitian. All women who have gestational
diabetes need to see a registered dietitian for help choosing the best foods. Follow-up
visits with a dietitian are helpful if you need to change your eating
Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator
November 3, 2011
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.