Healing Body and Mind
Ideas for mind-body wellness
- Relaxing your mind and body can help ease stress. It can also relieve anxiety, depression, and sleep problems. Try one or more of the following techniques to help you relax:
- Yoga includes breathing, meditation, and exercises, called postures or poses, that stretch the body.
- Progressive muscle relaxation involves tensing and relaxing each muscle group to reduce anxiety and muscle tension. If you have trouble falling asleep, this method may also help with sleep problems.
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction focuses your attention on things that are happening in the present moment. The idea is just to note what is happening without trying to change it.
- Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress. When you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body.
- Guided imagery is a technique in which you imagine yourself in a setting that helps you feel calm and relaxed.
- Laughter and humor make life richer and
healthier. Laughter increases creativity, reduces pain, and speeds healing.
- Building resilience can help you cope. Being resilient means you're able to bounce back from difficult situations or problems.
Patrice Burgess, MD - Family Medicine
Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry
March 1, 2012
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.