Indoor mold (fungus) is very common in humid areas and in homes that
have damp areas such as basements. Mold may trigger asthma symptoms, such as
wheezing or coughing, or another
allergic reaction, such as the rash of
atopic dermatitis or stuffy nose of
allergic rhinitis. Substances that trigger these
reactions are called
Although there is no strong evidence that reducing damp areas in
homes or limiting exposure to them helps decrease
asthma symptoms, taking the following steps may be
Store fireplace wood outside the
Clean bathtubs, shower stalls, shower curtains, and
windowsills at least once a month with a disinfectant or liquid bleach. Use
bleach with caution, because it may irritate your nose. If your nose is
irritated, your allergy symptoms may get worse.
Keep the house
aired out and dry. This may be difficult in some seasons and some
Use an exhaust fan in bathrooms and the kitchen to vent
Use a dehumidifier during humid weather. Try to
keep the humidity in the home below 50%. Molds thrive in higher
Seal off or avoid damp areas, such as crawl spaces, attics, or
basements. Use a dehumidifier to control mold growth in these areas. Try to
avoid materials that have been stored in these areas.
carpeting from any concrete floors, especially in the
Repair any water-damaged areas from leaking roofs or
basements. Also, check the areas under sinks and around other plumbing for
leaks. These areas can be prime mold-growing areas.
Make sure your
clothes dryer vents moist air to the outside.
Inspect closets for
items, such as shoes, that may retain moisture.
Adults spend one-third of their time and children spend half
of their time in their bedrooms, so it is important that you take steps to prevent
allergens in this room.
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.