Shock means that your body and its functions are shutting down. The body goes into shock when it can't get enough blood to
the vital organs like your heart or brain. This may be caused by a sudden illness, an injury, or bleeding. Sometimes even a mild injury will lead to
Shock is a life-threatening condition. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 or other emergency services and
begin home treatment immediately.
Signs of shock include:
- Passing out (losing
- Feeling very dizzy or lightheaded, like you may
pass out. A child may be very sleepy or hard to wake up.
- Breathing fast even at rest.
- Feeling very weak or having trouble standing
- Being less alert. You may suddenly be unable to respond to
questions, or you may be confused, restless, or fearful. A child may not know who people are or where he or she is.
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
March 20, 2012
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.