Update your browser or enable Javascript to view and use this site as designed.
Shock in Children

Shock in Children

Shock may quickly occur after a sudden illness or injury. When the body loses too much blood or fluid, there is no longer enough fluid in the body to carry enough blood to the vital organs.

A child may be in shock if one or more of the following signs are present:

  • Passing out (losing consciousness)
  • Acting confused. The child may not know where he or she is.
  • Being very sleepy or hard to wake up
  • Breathing fast
  • Not responding to being touched or talked to

Also, a child in shock has a weak, rapid heart rate and low blood pressure.

Shock is a life-threatening condition. Immediate medical care is required any time shock is suspected.

Current as of: June 4, 2014

Author: Healthwise Staff

Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine

Healthwise
Help
Healthwise Index

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.