What Increases Your Risk
Some things can increase your chances of getting leukemia. These things are called risk factors. But many people who get leukemia don't have any of these risk factors. And some people who have risk factors don't get this cancer.
General risk factors for leukemia
Other risk factors for AML
- Exposure to chemicals, such as benzene and formaldehyde.
Other risk factors for CLL
- Your family history. In some cases,
CLL runs in
- Being middle-aged or older, male, and white.
- Being infected with a virus known as HTLV-1.
Other risk factors for CML
- Having a gene change (mutation) called the Philadelphia chromosome.
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Brian Leber, MDCM, FRCPC - Hematology
December 14, 2012
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.