The side effects of bladder cancer treatment can be serious. Healthy habits such as eating a balanced diet and getting enough sleep and exercise may help control your symptoms. Your doctor may also give you medicines to help you with certain side effects.
You can try home treatments:
Other issues that can be treated at home include:
- Sleep problems. If you have trouble sleeping, try having
a regular bedtime and getting exercise daily.
- Feeling very tired. If you lack energy or become weak easily, try to manage your energy and get extra rest.
- Hair loss. Hair loss may be unavoidable. But using
mild shampoos and avoiding damaging hair products will reduce irritation of
- Pain. Home treatment can help you manage pain. Be sure to talk with your doctor about any home treatment you use.
Handling the stress of having cancer
Having cancer can be very stressful, and it may feel overwhelming to face the challenges in front of you. Finding new ways of coping with the symptoms of stress may improve your overall quality of life.
These ideas may help:
- Get the support you need. Spend time with people who care about you, and let them help you.
- Take good care of yourself. Get plenty of rest, and eat nourishing foods.
- Talk about your feelings. Find a support group where you can share your experience.
- Try new ways to relax. And do things each day that help you stay calm and relaxed. Stress reduction techniques may help.
Having cancer can change your life in many ways. For support in managing these changes, see the topic
Getting Support When You Have Cancer.
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Christopher G. Wood, MD, FACS - Urology, Oncology
©1995-2012, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
For more information,
How this information was developed.