Changing Your Status

Changes in your household or at work may affect your medical plan. If you have personal or family changes, employment status changes, or other similar changes, follow the steps below.

Personal or Family Changes

For members in Individual & Family plans or employer-sponsored group plans

Notify Member Services if you experience personal or family changes such as these:

  • You change your name. For Individual & Family plans, also notify us if you change your address or phone number.
  • You add dependents through birth, marriage, or adoption.
  • Your dependents lose eligibility due to a change in marital status, age, or residence. (Contact Member Services or your employer to learn your plan's age limits for dependents.)

You can change your address and contact information online, but you must sign on to the Kaiser Permanente member website to access the secure form.

For members in Medicare plans
Notify the Social Security Administration if you change your name, address, or phone number.

Employment Status Changes

You can keep Kaiser Permanente coverage even if you leave your current employer or lose eligibility under your medical plan. There are two main options for continued coverage and a temporary solution.

With the Group Conversion Plan, there is no lapse in coverage between your previous plan and the Conversion Plan. The level of coverage and the monthly premiums may vary. You must apply and make payment within 31 days of termination of your previous plan.

The Individual & Family Plan is a second option for continuing your Kaiser Permanente medical coverage.

To learn more about either plan, call Kaiser Permanente Sales and Marketing toll-free at 1-800-358-8815.

You may be able to use COBRA, a continuation of your medical coverage and benefits plan, even after you leave your job. Ask your former employer about COBRA or contact Member Services.

Other Changes

You may want to contact Member Services for more information about issues related to:

  • Medicare coverage.
  • Coverage for temporary situations, including full-time students, temporary residents, and dependents of split families.
  • Other medical insurance that may require coordination of your benefits between plans.