How to Transfer and Get Copies of Your Medical Records

You have a right to see your medical records or get copies. You may view most of your medical record online at no charge if you get care at a Group Health Medical Centers clinic.

Copies for your own records: You have the right to receive a copy of your health information in a format you prefer (paper or electronic). You can request that your health information be sent to any person or entity. You can request copies of your medical record and your children's medical records in writing using an authorization form or a letter. There is no charge for requests made directly by patients.

Transferring records: You don't need to transfer records if you are seeing different providers at Group Health Medical Center clinics. If you are requesting that Group Health send a medical record to a non-Group Health medical facility, please make a request as described below.

Requesting Records

You can fill out the appropriate form to transfer your requested health information to a non-Group Health provider or facility, to another third party, or for yourself.  We accept non-Group Health forms as long as they comply with federal and state law.

Authorization to Disclose (Release) Health Care Information (PDF)

Radiology: Getting Copies of Radiology Images explains how to request X-rays and other images.
Pharmacy: Group Health Pharmacy Information explains how to transfer a prescription.

Or, if you choose to write a letter, it must include the following required elements:

  • Signed by the individual (patient)
  • Clearly identify the person designated to receive the records
  • Identify where to send the copy of protected health information

Submitting Your Request

Submit your request to the Business Office of your local Group Health clinic or by fax or mail to your regional location. There is no charge for requsts made directly by you for your own records.

Western Washington
Centralized Release of Information
125 16th Ave. E.
Seattle, WA 98112
206-326-3058 or 1-866-656-4184
Fax: 206-326-2599

Central & Eastern Washington and North Idaho
Centralized Health Information Management
P.O. Box 204
Spokane, WA 99202
Fax: 509-232-3127

Processing Your Request

We will make records available in a timely fashion not to exceed 15 working days. If we're not able to make records available at the time of request, we will inform you of the status of your medical records and produce your medical record within 21 days from the receipt of the request. If the information requested does not exist or cannot be found you will be notified within 15 working days. These timeframes are consistent with state law RCW 70.02.080 and 70.02.090.

Medical records usually are mailed. Only in emergency situations may records be picked up. A valid photo ID must be presented.

If someone other than the patient picks up records, we require a note from the patient that specifies who may pick up the records. A valid photo ID must be presented.

If you are requesting records from a non-Group Health medical facility, you must contact that facility directly.

Charges for Copies

If the records are being sent directly to another physician, or if the records are being requested directly by a patient or member, there is no charge.  

Requests made by parties other than a patient or member may be charged a fee consistent with WAC 246-08-400. Members or patients have the right to request paper copies, electronic copies on DVD, or downloadable electronic copies from a secure web portal.

Group Health uses a copying service company called CIOX Inc for medical records which handles delivery of records to requesters. Questions regarding delivery or billing should be directed to CIOX at 800-236-3355.  There is a different fee when records are requested by or for insurance companies and attorneys.

Please allow up to 15 business days.

Members with MyGroupHealth access can also download medical records at no charge.  The online MyGroupHealth record doesn't include certain hospital records, Behavioral Health records, or care from providers who don't work at a Group Health facility.  Requests for those records should be made to the Centralized Release of Information unit.  (See the Submitting Your Form section above.)

Records From 'Outside' Providers or Facilities

If you get care from a doctor or other provider who isn't based at a Group Health clinic, you must contact that provider or medical facility to get copies of records or to have your records transferred.

If you want copies sent to a Group Health clinic, they should be faxed to that location. To find the fax number, go to Group Health Medical Centers Locations and choose the clinic. The fax number is at the top of the page, under the picture of the medical center.

Your Rights

You may revoke release authorization at any time by submitting the Revocation form to your health care provider, unless the provider has already acted on the original request.

You have the right to request changes to your record. You also have the right to know when information from your record has been inappropriately disclosed. You may request restrictions on the use and disclosure of personal information.

For more information see:

Other sites: Providers | Producers | Employers