Salary and Benefits
The 2017-2018 salary schedule for residents is:
- First-year resident (R1): $56,512
- Second-year resident (R2): $58,740
- Third-year resident (R3): $62,946
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Subsidized comprehensive medical, surgical, and hospitalization coverage at Kaiser Permanente. Amount paid by resident varies by family members covered.
- Subsidized dental coverage
- Vision coverage
- Disability and life insurance
- Malpractice insurance
- Nine paid holidays per year are subject to call schedule and inpatient duties
- 21 paid time off (PTO) days (accrued) for vacation and sick leave
- Continuing medical education: five days each for R2s and R3s
- CME expenses: $500 R1s; $800 for R2s; $1,000 for R3s
- Month away: R2s may take a four-week elective elsewhere and still receive the usual salary. Must be an approved educational experience. R3s may also take a four-week elective elsewhere and receive the usual salary, if an approved educational experience.
- Paid parking at all medical facilities
- Washington physician's license
- Certifications: ACLS, NRP, and ALSO
- National Board Exam (Step 3) fee
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) membership dues
Moonlighting is possible once a resident is fully licensed.