Patient undergoing physical therapy

Activity, Sports, and Exercise Medicine

Activity, Sports, and Exercise Medicine (ASEM) specialists treat activity-related injuries for all ages and activity levels. This specialty is for people at any stage of fitness, with a focus on helping people get active and stay active. 
Activity-related injuries include damage to muscles, joints, bones, tendons, cartilage, or ligaments. For example, you might see an ASEM specialist if you tore a knee ligament while lifting a heavy bag or while exercising. These specialists also work with patients to prevent injuries.

Finding a Specialist

To find an Activity, Sports, and Exercise Medicine specialist, you can:

To find out if you need a referral from your personal physician to see a sports medicine specialist, see How to Get Specialty Care.

It's always a good idea to start with your primary care doctor (or personal physician) for initial diagnosis and treatment.

Health Information

To learn more, see Fitness and Exercise Resources.

Featured Stories

Other sites: Providers | Producers | Employers