Group Child Care: Health and SafetySkip to the navigation
Make sure sound health-related and safety-related policies are followed at any child care facility you are considering for your child. Ask about the following issues, and get written documentation if possible:
- Is smoking banned from the facility?
- Do all children and staff have up-to-date immunizations? How are immunizations monitored?
- What procedures do staff follow when a child becomes ill? What precautions do they take to help prevent the spread of illness?
- Will staff give prescribed medicine?
- How are parents notified when a child at the facility has a highly contagious or serious illness?
- Is play equipment safe?
- Are toxins out of reach?
- Are all caregivers trained and committed to placing infants to sleep on their backs (to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome [SIDS])?
Primary Medical Reviewer John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofJuly 26, 2016