Stretches to Ease Neck Aches and Fatigue
The following exercises should cause you to feel a gentle stretch, but no pain.
- This stretch works best if you keep your shoulder down as you lean away from it. To help you remember to do this, start by relaxing your shoulders and lightly holding on to your thighs or your chair.
- Tilt your head toward your shoulder and hold for 15 to 30 seconds.
- If you would like a little added stretch, use your hand to gently and steadily pull your head toward your shoulder. For example, keeping your right shoulder down, lean your head to the left. Let the weight of your head stretch your muscles, or use your left hand to pull gently down on your head.
- Repeat 2 to 4 times toward each shoulder.
Diagonal neck stretch
- Turn your head slightly toward the direction you will be stretching, and tilt your head diagonally toward your chest and hold for 15 to 30 seconds.
- If you would like a little added stretch, use your hand to gently and steadily pull your head forward on the diagonal.
- Repeat 2 to 4 times toward each side.
Current as of: May 23, 2016
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & William S. Marras, PhD, CPE - Ergonomics