Update your browser or enable Javascript to view and use this site as designed.
Breast-Feeding: Avoiding Toxic Substances

Breast-Feeding: Avoiding Toxic Substances

Topic Overview

While you are breast-feeding , avoid exposure to poisonous substances, which may be in contaminated water, food, or air. Heavy metals such as lead and mercury, some pesticides, and other industrial or household chemicals can sometimes end up in breast milk.

If mercury builds up to toxic levels in the human body, it can cause brain damage. Overall, fish and shellfish are healthy foods, but it's best for breast-feeding moms to avoid eating fish high in mercury. It can be harmful when mercury is passed to your baby through your breast milk.

Make sure your household and work areas are not hazardous. Use common sense to avoid strong chemicals, such as pesticides. If you are unsure or concerned about exposures, contact your local health department for information about whether special testing is warranted.

Talk to your doctor if you are unsure about your exposure to contaminants.

Credits

By Healthwise Staff
Primary Medical Reviewer Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
Current as of April 12, 2013
Healthwise
Help
Healthwise Index

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.