Varicella pneumonia can occur 2 to 10 days after the chickenpox rash. Fever and cough are usually the first signs. Most people recover from varicella pneumonia. But the symptoms may last for weeks or months.
When it occurs, varicella pneumonia tends to affect:
- Teens and adults. Teens and adults are more likely to develop varicella pneumonia than children. Adults who get this condition may become very sick. Varicella pneumonia is the most common cause of death in adults who get chickenpox.
- Pregnant women. Pregnant women who have chickenpox during the last part of pregnancy are at risk for getting varicella pneumonia, which can lead to severe illness or death.
- People who have chronic lung diseases.
- People who have impaired immune systems .
- People who smoke cigarettes. footnote 1
Current as of: November 20, 2015
Author: Healthwise Staff