Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Protecting Your HomeSkip to the navigation
Steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:
- Purchase and install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home and near sleeping areas. Use those marked UL 2034 or IAS 6–96, which have met the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines. Follow the directions carefully for installing and using the detector. Be prepared so that you know what to do if the detector alarm sounds.
- Have your heating system inspected each year.
- Monitor appliances, chimneys, and vents for visible soot, rust, stains, blockage, or corrosion. Also have them inspected each year. When in use, make sure they vent properly to allow gas to escape from enclosed areas. Don't close the fireplace or wood/pellet stove damper before the fire is completely out.
- Don't use kerosene or propane heaters in an enclosed area. Don't use a gas kitchen oven to heat your home.
- Don't burn charcoal or use a grill indoors.
- Don't place power generators or pressure washers near windows or doors of your home.
- Don't use paint remover that has methylene chloride in it, especially when children are around. (Methylene chloride converts to carbon monoxide in the body.)
- Don't smoke cigarettes or have your child near someone who is smoking, especially in a poorly ventilated room.
For more information, see the topic Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Primary Medical Reviewer Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology
Current as ofNovember 20, 2015
Current as of: November 20, 2015