Emergency Procedures for Group Child Care FacilitiesSkip to the navigation
When selecting a group child care facility, make sure staff have an emergency procedures policy in place. Ask for a printed copy of this information, if available. Also, ask specific questions about emergency readiness, such as:
- Does the staff know the procedure to follow during an emergency? Are emergency numbers posted by the phones?
- Is there a fire escape plan that is practiced regularly? Is the facility equipped with smoke alarms and fire extinguishers?
- What is the policy for a medical emergency? Are there special release forms that need to be on file?
- What procedures are followed if a child is infected with a severe contagious illness (such as meningitis )?
- Are staff certified in first aid and CPR?
- Is there an up-to-date parent contact list?
Primary Medical Reviewer John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Current as ofJuly 26, 2016